GSHP is beginning a new student mentoring program for the upcoming school year. This new mentoring program is designed to provide an avenue for the development of relationships between a more experienced mentor and a less experienced mentee with the focus on enhancing personal and professional growth as well as skill development. As a mentor, your personal journey and professional expertise can be shared with less experienced pharmacy students or residents who are seeking guidance. (AJPE 2013;77(2)Article23)
Mentors may volunteer to take 1-4 students per school year and are encouraged to meet with them regularly throughout the year. We recommend that mentors plan to meet at least monthly with their mentee(s). Meetings may take place over the phone or virtually, though all mentors should plan at least one in-person meeting during the year. A GSHP meeting is a great time to have your in-person meeting!
Mentors must be current registered Georgia pharmacist members of GSHP and be willing to actively participate in the GSHP Mentor Program possessing the following attributes:
- Committed to being a mentor and making the mentoring relationship meaningful
- Committed to professional growth
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills
- Committed to developing a respectful, confidential mentoring relationship
All GSHP pharmacist members are qualified to be a mentor! We’re looking for pharmacists from all backgrounds, in all practice areas, and with all levels of experience.
Mentors should commit to the following:
- Provide guidance, encouragement, and support to mentee in goals
- Maintain confidentiality
- Identify and introduce mentee to resources to ensure continued personal and professional development
- Provide continuous advice and feedback
- Provide feedback to mentee in regards to the benefits and possible improvements to relationship
Click Here to sign up to be a GSHP Student Mentor
Thank you, again, for volunteering as a mentor. You advice, experience, and guidance are invaluable to our GSHP students and residents!
Students - There will be an opportunity in the Fall to sign up as a mentee. Look for more information from your student chapter presidents at the beginning of the Fall semester.
For more information about the program, please contact one of your GSHP Student-Resident Committee Co-Chairs:
Sarah Murphy, PharmD, BCPS (email@example.com) or Lisa Lundquist, PharmD, BCPS (Lundquist_LM@mercer.edu)